Skip to content

Using jqGrid with ASP.NET MVC: Finally, A Solution

Having introduced jqGrid and written LINQ extension methods to make supplying data to the grid easy, we’re now ready to put together a demo application. The solution I’m going to build demonstrates sorting and paging. In a future post, I will enhance it to demonstrate search, formatting, and editing data. I’ve made the demo application available for download, but be advised that I intend to update it in the next few days; it’s currently a work in progress.

Rather than make you set up the Northwind database, I’ve written a quick, mock repository which supplies random data for the application. But the data persists for the lifetime of the app, so I’ll be able to demonstrate sorting, paging, etc. This way you can just run the application, without having to set up SQL Server.

So let’s write some code display a grid.

The data I’m going to display in the grid is a fairly useless type:

public class SomeEntity
    {
        public int Id { get; set; }
        public int IntProperty { get; set; }
        public string StringProperty { get; set; }
        public DateTime DateProperty { get; set; }
    }

We need two actions. The first will display the page containing the grid. The second supplies data for one page of the grid. Remember, the grid can page through large datasets. It will only request one page of data at a time.

public ActionResult GridDemo()
        {
            return View();
        }

public ActionResult GridDemoData(int page, int rows, string search, string sidx, string sord)
        {
            var repository = new Repository();
            var model = repository.SelectAll().ToJqGridData(page, rows, sidx + " " + sord, search,
                new[] { "IntProperty", "StringProperty", "DateProperty" });
            return Json(model);
        }

The first action simply returns a view containing the HTML table which will eventually become the grid. It doesn’t need a model, because the grid will request its data asynchronously. The second action handles the data requested by the grid.

In order to make this work, we need HTML elements for the grid and its pager in the view, along with a reference to the JavaScript which will turn those elements into the grid.

<asp:Content ID="Content2" ContentPlaceHolderID="MainContent" runat="server">
    <h2>GridDemo</h2>
    <table id="grid" class="scroll" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"></table>
    <div id="pager" class="scroll" style="text-align:center;"></div>
</asp:Content>

<asp:Content ID="Script" ContentPlaceHolderID="ScriptContent" runat="server">
    <script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="<%= Url.Content("~/Scripts/Home.GridDemo.js") %>"></script>
</asp:Content>

The JavaScript file is where the grid itself is configured.

$(document).ready(function() {

pager: pager,
            sortname: 'IntProperty',
            rowNum: 10,
            rowList: [10, 20, 50],
            sortorder: "asc",
            url: "GridDemoData"
        }).navGrid(pager, { edit: false, add: false, del: false, search: false });
    }
};

Important to note here are:

• colNames, the grid column captions the user sees.
  • colModel,which includes the property name, which is the field name in the returned JSON data which supplies the data for that column, and index, which is the name which will be sent to the GridDemoData action as the sidx (field name to sort on) argument when you click on a grid header. There are a number of other properties you can set here which control editing, with, formatting, etc. See the documentation for full details. Importantly, colNames and colModel must have the same number of entries, and be in the same order.
  • url, which tells the grid where to get its data. You’ll notice that the value I’ve passed is the name of the second action.

As I mentioned in the last post, I set a number of the grid options in a script referenced by the Site.Master, in order to prevent having to set them on every grid I create. The configuration idea for the grid on an individual page should be only the things that are unique to that page. So there is a fair bit of configuration for the grid which is not included here. In addition, the Site.Master contains references to the grid’s JavaScript and CSS files.

Finally, it’s worth mentioning that when you add jqGrid to a project you need to edit the jQuery.jqGrid.js file to tell the grid where to find the rest of the JS files it needs. Once you look at this file, it is obvious what you need to change.

At this point, I’m going to make the demo application available for download, so that you can experiment with it yourself. However, I’ll caution that I intend to update it when I write the next post in this series. In other words, the current download is a work in progress. It will change in the next few days.

Download the Solution (587 KB)

So let’s run the solution and see what we get:

jqGrid demo app version 1
OK, the hideous and eyestrain-inducing clash between the default MVC theme and the jQuery UI "lightness" theme included with the grid download notwithstanding, this is actually not bad. Sorting and paging both work, and performance is very good.

But what’s the deal with the data in that date column? It turns out that there is no standard representation of a date in JSON, so Microsoft invented their own. The grid doesn’t know about this special format. We’ll clean that up in the next post in this series and also cover search. Stay tuned!

{ 16 } Comments

1. Jones | April 21, 2009 at 5:51 am | Permalink

Nice Blog…

2. Andrey | April 21, 2009 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

Hi Craig,

I appreciate your example very much!
    Just want to inform you about a bug: page numbering is started from 1, not from 0.
    So, your linq extension methods return records starting from 11 to 20 on the first page, while should 1-10.

If change code like the following:
    var jsonData = new DbModelDataContext().TourOrderGrids
    .ToJqGridData(
    page-1, rows, sidx + " " + sord, search,
    new[]
    {
    "Id", "OrderNo", "OrderDate", "OrderCreatedByUserName",
    "TourName", "TourDate", "AgencyName", "Sum", "StatusName"
    },
    null);
    jsonData.Page++;
    everything work fine.

3. lim san | July 17, 2009 at 8:17 am | Permalink

Thank you, I’ve been looking how to use grid in MVC.

4. Mike | September 14, 2009 at 10:25 am | Permalink

Craig - Thanks for the demo. I’m trying to get my head around MVC and Linq and I’m having a disconnect in your repository function where you generate sample data. Could you please show me how to get a real LINQ select query (with multiple joins) to work. I’m getting errors I can’t get around trying to use this. I’m sure its simple I just can’t get past it.
    Thanks - Mike

5. Rushi | September 18, 2009 at 10:24 am | Permalink

Thanks Craig for a nice article. However, when I download and run the code, I get a javascript error "Microsoft JScript runtime error: ‘$.jgrid’ is null or not an object" in Site.Master.js. I am new to jQuery grid so I am not sure what could be wrong. I tried playing with paths in the jQuery.jqGrid.js file but no luck. I simply downloaded the code, extracted it, opened VS2008 that automatically created the virtual directory and hit F5. I see the error right away. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot !!

6. Jan de Jager | October 24, 2009 at 3:17 am | Permalink

Hi craig, awesome work on creating this solution. I just seem to be missing something. According to jqgrid the rows data structure is as follows:
    {id=numbervalue, {cell=[array of values]}}

and yours is just the key-value pairs?

I had my own manual setup to pass the json data to the grid but wanted to implement yours due to the less code required. But, now the grid doesn’t understand the data… I tried using the version of jqgrid in your sample sollution, but still nothing…

7. bhavin patel | May 6, 2010 at 8:06 am | Permalink

hi craig,
    i downloaded ur solutions and run it but it doesnot shows any data in the gridview only empty grid it shows.why is like that. i made similar demo project of mine but the result is similar.so please guide me whats a problem with it?
    any solutions for that.

8. hs0wkc | May 10, 2010 at 2:09 am | Permalink

hi bhavin patel,
    Change the code like this if you used ASP.NET MVC 2

return Json(model.ToJqGridData(page, rows, null, search, new[] { "IntProperty", "StringProperty", "DateProperty" }), JsonRequestBehavior.AllowGet);
    }

NOTE : HomeController.cs

9. Phil | July 19, 2010 at 8:48 am | Permalink

Hey Craig,

Your code seems cool however in my Visual Web Developer 2010 Express it shows no rows! My OS is Windows 7 x64 Enterprise (if that helps…).

I’ve tried different solutions to get the data flowing into the grid like defining the model at runtime and creating a string representation but no luck. Also set this attribute, [AcceptVerbs(HttpVerbs.Get)], but didn’t get any results. Please let me know what I can do to get it to work, I’ll really like to develop my app in ASP.NET MVC.

Cheers,

10. Stefan Rupprecht | September 24, 2010 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

Hi Phil,

Vou’re obviously using ASP.NET MVC 2.0, which throws an exception when an action attempts to return JSON in response to a GET request. Adding "JsonRequestBehavior.AllowGet" as the last argument to the Json() call in the Home.Controller will solve the issue.

11. Herman | October 29, 2010 at 4:37 am | Permalink

Craig please comment on point 7. because I have the same problem if I use a link /Site/Test everything is Ok, if I use /Site/Test/Index the error occurs.

12. Herman | October 29, 2010 at 4:58 am | Permalink

problem of point 7. Solved.

do like this: first line in masterpage
    var baseUrl=”

use this variable baseUrl in: jquery.jqrid.js like this: var pathtojsfiles = baseUrl + "Scripts/jqGridJs/";

13. Tim | December 16, 2010 at 8:21 am | Permalink

Hi Craig,

thanks for your blog. It’s very helpfull. But im having a problem.

I’m using EF4 and Linq to Entities to get data out of my sybase sql anywhere database.

When i try to run your code im getting an error in PagedList.cs on line 82 with the message (translatet from german to english):

Method ‘Skip’ is only supported for sorted input in ‘LINQ to Entities’. The method ‘OrderBy’ must be called before the method ‘Skip’.

Do you have an idea?

Regards,
    Tim

14. Tim | December 17, 2010 at 2:38 am | Permalink

Sorry for that…

The Grid gets json data but it doesn’t display it.

I installed jqGrid 3.8.2. Maybe thats the Problem.

When i use the jqGrid withouth your great solution i pass json data in this format to the grid:

Your solution creates a json result like this:

Regards,
    Tim

15. beyfenh | February 24, 2012 at 4:55 am | Permalink

anybody can help me . I need checkbox controls inside of grid., how can use this grid..plz advice me

16. Mateusz Klos | September 11, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

Craig,
    In your action method GridDemoData() you are fetching all the records from the repository before extracting the required subset (to fill up the page):

new[] { "IntProperty", "StringProperty", "DateProperty" });

I’m concerned that it may have a negative impact on the performance, especially if SelectAll() returns large number of records. To avoid the performance issues shouldn’t the design allow for
    fetching only a subset of records from the repository (instead of fetching all of the records)?

Thanks

Mateusz

{ 1 } Trackback

1. [...] jqGrid with ASP.NET MVC: Introduction Using jqGrid with ASP.NET MVC: LINQ Extensions Using jqGrid with ASP.NET MVC: Finally, A Solution Using jqGrid with ASP.NET MVC: Search and Formatting Using jqGrid with ASP.NET MVC: Deleting [...]